Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Few Quilts and Life Recently

I'll start with "Life" and the going's on around here and throw a few quilts in as "Life" unfolds :)

 On May 19th my younger brother, Mathew, graduated from Law School.  This in and of itself is a huge accomplishment....but during the boring commencement speech (I was tempted to stand up and scream "Time Out....you are boring and we want to see our family members get their diplomas now"....but I didn't.) I sat thinking about his life.  He has served in the Army, gotten a bachelor degree in plastic engineering, a masters degree in business and now a law degree.  It sounds like he has spent his life studying but no.....he has traveled the world and had two children as well....my little brother is one amazing dude and it sort of just dawned on me....LOL!
 
 Speaking of amazing dudes.....my oldest co-worker shot 5 bulls-eyes on the BB gun range.  We were only given 5 BB's....I was lucky to hit the paper one time.

A week or so ago, we had another cub scout event.  Our very first car race at the Toledo Speedway.
It was pretty neat to see that the racers pulled their cars near the stands and let the fans get autographs.
The youngest co-worker was thrilled to be having soda and candy....he loves sugar and his boss does her best to set limits on that stuff!

I felt a bit stupid because I had to ask the man in front of me if the car races were real or if they were like big time wrestling.  What planet am I from?  I do know about the Daytona 500 and the Grand Prix....but who knew there were people who race cars locally?  Please forgive my ignorance!

 You are looking at a photo of men following one another around in circles....yes....spending money on gas to drive in circles....not to fabric stores....but in circles following one another and going nowhere!
When they were finished and got their trophy they then did it again....this time with boats in tow.  REALLY?  I could not make this up....I'm not that creative....giggles.
It gets a wee bit more interesting when they then drive in a figure 8 in a bus....until each one is smashed to smithereens and can no longer run. 

IHAN logic says that if their was thread involved somehow it would have been much more exciting!  They could have at least tied some thread or yarn to their bumpers to they could have had bobbins or spindles wound when they were finished....but NO!  I think they need me to give them some help with their entertainment don't you?  (ROFL)

I better show you a quilt before you leave and never come back :)
Forgive the quality of the photo...but this a lovely lavender brushed cotton with hand embroidery and hand quilting.

I'd like to tell you that I made this lovely quilt....but that would be a lie.  I purchased it at an estate sale last Friday and I paid $55.  I could not buy the fabric and thread for that price.  I also purchased a beautiful quilt with churn-dash quilt made with feed sacks....I'll have to take a pix of that one to show you. Now....that is something I can get excited about and perhaps run in circles....but pay for gas to drive in a circle....not me....still giggling at my narrow life.

Between thread, fabric and sewing....life does happen here at IHAN headquarters.  While sitting at Max and Ermas having dinner one evening, Aaron looks at me and asks me, "Momma, why do they call these napkins....we don't take naps on them?  We should call them lapkins because they sit on your lap."  I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....still laughing.
One of my girlfriends lost her husband so I ran home for the funeral this past weekend.  PA is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life.....it was overcast and ye the sky and mountains were still just as beautiful.
After the funeral, we gathered at their home and our group put on a lovely lunch.  You know I loved pulling into her driveway....there was a barn and a barn quilt....my idea of  home!
Another quilt!  Hooray :)  This is Eleanor's tie quilt....it isn't quite finished but I just had to take a pix.
Appliqued silk ties one silk dupioni.  I now know what I want to do with some of my father's ties.

My spirits have been lifted by my quilting friends yet again.....stitching friends have kept me from falling apart....I guess they just know what they are doing!

Smiles,
Kelly

Oops...I left off a photo....the co-workers last day of school is today....it is officially summer here in Ohio.

16 comments:

  1. My dear friend, Love is the thread that binds us.

    yeah, running in circles is my idea of a waste of gas & time, both, but smashing school buses has to be great fun for all! (well, except the buses)

    Smart kid & beautiful quilts, and hooray for summer!! (do they still sing, "no more school, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks!"? That was always my fave!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are healing. I took a trip to see my son in Maryland. What a beautiful area. He lives about 45 minutues of Baltimore on this beautiful wooded property. The Texas landscape is not nearly as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very busy this month and love your estate find, can't wait to see the feedsack quilt.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of "life" going on all around. I know the boys are glad school is out.
    That quilt you bought is really great. Love the tie quilt too. Very unique.
    If I ever have a barn it will definitely have a barn block on it. Even if I have a shed it will have a barn block on it!
    Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly hugs to your friend on her loss. Love the races, live the races in our family as well as quilting for me and fishing for hubs and the oldest grand. Congrats to your brother and I feel for you. Sadly, during my graduation from community college, the young lady chosen decided we would have to listen to her entire life, until the crowd began crowing...sitting in 110 degree heat is no fun and it was outside. I thought I would die. When our Sec of State got up I knew I would be carted out, but she said about 100 words and left us smiling! Life does get in the way and it is how we roll up and down those hills that keep us sane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay to ole "sureshot"! I see a new hibby in his future!

    Yay to no more school for the summer. I remember how exciting this day was for us growing up. Major.Fun.Day.

    Glad you got to go to PA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life does go on. So happy to hear about your brother. What an accomplishment. And your co-workers will now be home to help with IHAN :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some special Life moments....Congratulations to your amazing brother Matt! Hey, that silk quilt is the best tie quilt I've ever seen. Love it.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ps - the car race pulling boats cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to see you back! We've always called those race cars/drivers "Circe burners"

    I was just in PA... driving through... to South Bend.... PA is on our short list for retirement!

    Beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are doing good. The adventures with your co-workers are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really get the racing thing..but then I am "odd" LOL.
    The guys look like the last day of school made them really happy!
    I am glad you took time to admire the scenery even while going to a funeral. I usually am too "internal" at those times to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you Kelly. Yes, you have been busy. Congrats to the law graduate and the co-worker year enders. Love your description of racing--can't wait to use it when I'm sitting in my chair stitching to the Dolby digital surround sound of Nascar.

    All of the quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing you back, Kelly. Love seeing the co-workers in their element. Love the quilts and you do a beautiful job. Even though you didn't do the top one, it is beautiful. I, too, dislike racing, but we live less than 10 miles from Talladega Speedway. We can hear the cars when they are racing on a good day. We do get a kick out of seeing the blimp, and the jets when they flew. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilts and like the flowers for me, it gives us a foundation and a warm hug to get through the every day memories, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt and beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My guys would have loved to watch that racing...every last lap of it. Jammer is a NASCAR fanatic. The thrift quilt is just gorgeous. I hope your co-workers have a great summer planned.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...