Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Checker Distributor 62 Anniversary Open House - Creative Grids Rulers

Chapter 11


I'd like to introduce you to "Hyper-Post Blogging" by IHAN.  In order to finish the Checker Distributors Open House Posts I have to Hyper-Post.  So strap on your seat belts, get a beverage or go to the bathroom now, turn off the telephones and close all windows and doors....we must stay focused!! :)
Pat Barry, By Design Quilting, gave Long Arm Quilting demonstrations throughout the day.  I have posted about Pat here.
Pat has designed several.  Long Arm Quilting Templates and I wrote about them in the post referenced above.
Rita Fishel, Creations Sew Clever, has designed the Creative Grids Charming Strip Stashbuster Ruler 23in x 5in.  Rita demonstrated her ruler during the Open House. 

                                                   



 Penny Haren writes the  Checker Distributors Newsletter and she wrote a great description for the Stashbuster Ruler:
Rita Fishel, our favorite Creative Grid demonstrator and guru, has created a ruler that is 5? wide and 23? long. A line is drawn the length of the ruler at 2 1/2?. One end even includes the markings necessary to square-up the half-square triangles made from them!
The math just works. If you trim half-square triangles made from 5? squares to 4 1/2?, they can be sewn with the 2 1/2? strips and incorporated into the same quilt! Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together!    (copied from the Checker Newsletter with previous permission of Penny Haren)
Karen Montgomery, The Quilt Company, PA., gave a presentation and demonstrations at the Checker Open House. I really enjoyed Karen's presentation and her practical approach to business and designing.  She has a new Creative Grids Ruler coming out soon.  Karen said she did not want a "one hit wonder" when she was designing her ruler.  I'm with her, I want to be able to use a ruler for a multitude of things so I'm not storing a huge range of rulers in my sewing area.  (I like the way she things....frugal like me). 

Karen gave several demonstrations of the Quick Trim Ruler throughout the day.

Posted by Picasa

All of these blocks above can be made using Karen's ruler.    But wait, there's more!!!  LOL....it also makes circles

IHAN has some of The Quilt Company's Patterns and there are more being added.  We will have the Quick Trim Ruler just as soon as it is available.

Karla Alexander, Saginaw Street Quilts, is also a Creative Grids Ruler designer.  Karla also spent the day demonstrating her rulers. 

This is Karla's Peace Quilt Pattern.  I just loved it.
Below are the rulers Karla has designed and some of here Quilt Patterns for Saginaw St. Quilt Company are here and more are being added.


Creative Grids Curves For Rectangles 6in x 24in Ruler
Creative Grids Curved Slotted 11in x 15in Ruler

 Penny Haren worked tirelessly during the Checker Open House.  I don't think I saw her sit down once.  She demonstrated her Pieced Applique Technique using  Square It Up and Fussy Cut rulers.  Penny's technique eliminates the need to inset points and curves for very challenging quilt blocks.  If you have steered away from applique in the past, you must check out Penny's books that teach her techniques.  If you can get to one of her classes, don't miss it.  I did and I'm looking forward to taking it another time.  I heard it was great.

 
The Creative Grids website has the best videos demonstrating all of their rulers.  Just Click Here and you can see these rulers demonstrated. 

I'm sorry for leaving out so many details....but I'd be a very long time posting everything.  I put plenty of links in the post so if you have more questions or want more information you can find it easily.

Smiles,
Kelly

14 comments:

  1. That was a fun fast ride, afraid I messed up my hair it was so fast but very interesting and well....I just love rulers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of rulers! I love to see how creative and ingenious people can be. Some beautiful quilts in those pictures too!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rulers...hmmm...I have one. My regular "Just get it cut" ruler with a lip that gets the job done, but you are making me think. There is so much more. Thank you for the information. *Adding items to wish list*

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many rulers available and new ones coming out all the time. It boggles my mind. I'll have to check out those videos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat rulers. Thank you for sharing.
    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots to visually process, but it's all cool stuff. I like that visual of aall the cuts u can make using the house ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lots of information and new wish list items Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing all this info! It's hard to keep up with all the new notions that are being created...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, I love all those mitered corners. Anything that makes cutting and putting them together is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few rulers to make perfect triangles, still haven't figured it out, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whooosh. I'm on overload, but interested in all these great products. And, you've convinced me I want to come visit you and camp out at Checker Distributors!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did we just run around the block together? My favorite always use ruler is Creative Grid, thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed that ruler designers really work hard to design multi-uses for their rulers. Buying one for each individual use gets so expensive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...