Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Hot Weather? Hot Flashes? Find Your King Size Solution Here

Hopefully you'll forgive this photo....but I wasn't getting dressed up (out of my pj's) to share this fun information.  I made this neck wrap on Saturday afternoon and I'm telling you.....it is the best thing since sliced bread.  Between hot flashes and hot weather....I am in need of an immediate cooling on occasion (frequent occasion...lol).


I took a strip of fabric 62in x 5 1/2" and made tube....flipped it stitched straight lines about every 1 3/4 inches to make long pockets.  In each pocket I put some Soil Moist.  You can get this or something like it at your local garden supply.
How much did I add...I didn't measure.  I found this little cap sitting on my sewing table so I used it.  I'd say error on the side of caution and use only a teaspoon or so in each compartment.

I had divided the fabric tube into four sections and marked the sections with a pin.  After putting in a little bit of the Soil Moist, I stitched across the fabric to seal that section closed.  Repeat and close :)

After soaking it in water it swelled and swelled and swelled.  That is why it is important not to over-do the Soil Moist....that stuff really takes on the water!!!  Then I put it in the fridge and I've been running back and forth to the fridge all weekend.

I didn't invent this idea....it is used by many folks and I learned about it from a friend who was making them for the folks in our Armed Forces.  Previously I had only made a single section flatter version....this time I made the "King Kooler" because it has been very hot here in OH and also in my personal experience as well (you know what I'm talking about).

I have heard that you should not put these in the freezer....just thought you might want to know.

Today I"m going to make a few more, another for myself and a few for the boys.  They are at Cub Scout Camp all week and I know they'll love having one of these to pull out of their lunch sacks when they get hot.

Stay Kool!

Smiles and Silly Giggles,
Kelly

10 comments:

  1. Girl, you rock! Seriously, this is such a great idea! And yes, I know whereof you speak....LOL I think I feel a trip to town coming on, so that I can purchase some "schtuff" to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to hang it to dry when you take it "out of service" for a while. I had some that I left in a lunch cooler and forgot about - they molded badly. I do need to make me a few more of those. One "jug" of those crystals will make a LOT of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely post! I need one for those special personal summers. LOL! This is getting bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I use one of these when we go to the tennis tournaments in Cincinnati, as it is always HOT there at that time. They are wonderful. I agree--be sure to dry them out very well, and then store them in a plastic bag so that they do not pick up moisture from the humid air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful! I made a bunch years ago and still use them on hot summer days. You don't even have to put them in the refrigerator...they will stay cool on their own! You're also right about not over filling! If the stuff swells too much it will pop out of it's pouch! Ick!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  6. They ARE COOL but don't put them in the washer either!!! Hand wash with mild soap! Hang somewhere till they quit dripping. I made some similar to that filled with the teeny tiny beads out of luvs super absorbent diapers, lol, looks like they are way easier to make your way!! (just a note:I did not like them made out of the floral beads.... UGH too forever to swelland were lumpy, diaper beads were fast and smooth ) I also tied one as a headband, the tie was on top so I looked a little like a 50"s housewife.........but who cares, I was cooler!! Am thinking about making wrist bands like that too! Keep all the pulse points cool. It is HOT and HUMID in MO too even though is so dry the ground has cracks, humidity comes from all the ponds lakes and rivers I guess. I hope it cools off soon but we still have July August and Sept to get through so probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me...after the hot spell is over
    I have one a friend made me and it is wonderful.. I'm going to go get it out right now:)
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women are seeming to enjoying this blog. That is a nice little personal experience related in didactic tone. Its wonderful! It may be new information for some that hot flashes are more sever and teasing in summer rather than winter..... You rock lady....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...