Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

More Splash Than Cash Decorating

Checker 61st Anniversary Open House
Chapter 7

Donna Babylon author of "More Splash Than Cash Decorating" was at the Checker Open House. I enjoyed meeting Donna and of course I love the name of her business, "More Splash Than Cash." I know I can learn from someone who thinks like I do....conserve the dough!!!

This book is designed for those who are novices as well as experienced stitchers. Donna is your "private teacher" so to speak. She focuses on three sewing techniques, stitching a seam, turning a corner and sewing a blind hem. Donna has included some other techniques that are unique to home dec. sewing (like how to match fabric repeats), but the actual sewing is only done with simple seams.

Most everyone who reads my blog regularly, knows I pretend to be ignorant about sewing when it comes to home dec. My Mom and Sister take over and do all the home dec. sewing for me. It has worked for 25 years. Now I own a sewing business......my cover has been blown.
Donna is right....many of us fear doing the home decorating sewing because, speaking for myself, I don't want to waste the money and time and have it come out looking like a 5 year old made it. Time for Donna's book!!!

Donna's Bio

I have been sewing since I was seven years old.
This passion lead me to major in home economics in college. After graduating from college, I was a middle and high school teacher for several years. Just imagine teaching 25 to 30 kids (in a classroom) how to sew. Whatever could go wrong did go wrong! For my sanity, I quickly learned how to adapt my instructions to bypass any potential problems. When I did that, the classroom was much calmer and my students had immediate success. I had no idea when I was in the classroom that I would one day be writing how-to books. But when that opportunity presented itself, I decided to write my books the same way I taught—by offering simple and stylish projects with well-thought-out instructions. I see so many creative opportunities with sewing— especially for the home. And, I love to teach.

So, the story continues with this book (my fifteenth). I enjoy sharing my sewing and decorating advice by conducting seminars and workshops around the country. I have also appeared on over 250 television shows including HGTV, Lifetime, and Discovery. I design patterns for Simplicity Pattern Company, I’m a certified window treatment consultant through the Window Coverings Association and also a master sewing instructor (one of only nine such recipients) through the Sewing Educators Alliance.

Throughout the process of sculpting my career, I created my own indie publishing company and
developed my More Splash Than Cash® brand. I publish my books and design a line of sewing patterns called Room Mates™. This aspect of my career has been the most fun. I do everything when I create a book or design a pattern.

I write, sew, photograph, illustrate, and draft the patterns. I love that my books help someone create beautiful things.

Wow, she is one accomplished gal....impressive!!

Smiles, Kelly

2 comments:

  1. Love your informative post....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read from a very talented, impressive woman!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...